1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Fowl Farmer from Shelton, Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Teva, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Teva

Teva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Shelton, WA
    Hi, well we got rid of our pit bull back in January and I decided that I wanted chickens. So a friend gave me her small coop (4x4 I think) and I built my own pen.....well, it is with 6 foot T poles and welded wire, but I didn't put a netting over it. I leave it open anyway for the mamas to free range. They end up in the coop at night anyway and I "tuck" them in.

I started with two grown black star hens that someone was giving away (they were being picked on) and I've been introducing new 5 week old chicks to them every week or so. I have two barred rocks, two buff orps (one is a cock, tho, pretty sure), and next week an Americauna (which I think is a boy, he looks at me with his head cocked just like the buff orpington does!) and a polish crested will join them. Last week I picked up three leghorns and six more americauna chicks. This is plenty for me, they are so cute though!

I've had the black stars for three weeks and I finally got eggs! Just a neat thing to see in a nest every day. The kids are loving it too.

It's addicting! I keep looking up Craigslist for free birds.....

I used to live in Germany next to a farm that had two peafowl. I LOVED THEM. So I decided I wanted some peacocks too. I wish I had found this forum before I picked up my peafowl! I will be spending most of my time there :)

My husband and I are both retired military. Our kids are 5 and 9, and we have three cats - and now LOTS of birds. 8 acres out in the woods with a seasonal pond. And now, with the peacocks (which are named Will and Kate) it feels like we live on a park! Just heard a mating call this morning - I missed that sound!

2. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Welcome to BYC Teva! We have a pit bull and he is a riot with the chickens! I think half the time he has a herding gene in him because when they get too far from their coop he will round them back up lol. He's even given a few of them baths [​IMG]At first I thought he was going to have a snack, but after he cleans them he releases them no worse for the wear!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on adding peafowl [​IMG] Our peacocks have started making a lot of noise this month & gosh, I love hearing their call now [​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from another in Washington state glad you joined us!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from a neighbor in Renton

Imp

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009