New Fowl Parents

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EmilyP, Apr 18, 2016.

1. EmilyP

EmilyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Hello! We are new to the fowl world but we have 8 chicks (7- around 3wk old, 1 maybe 2wk old judging by her development) and 6 ducks (5 Roen/Mallards?-2wks, 1 Pekin-3wk). Any advice on coops, runs and free-ranging would be extremely helpful! Our little guys are already giving me and my fiance tons of joy and entertainment! We have a chicken coop in the process of being built but are clueless on what to build for the ducks. Also any help with supplementing they may need, I asked at TSC about some grit and the girl told me she's never given it to hers in 20 years and they have been just fine (I didn't find that useful). Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions!! I'll try to get good pictures of our babies tonight without their red heat lamp glow! Emily + Cory

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! This is a great site full of helpful people, just ask questions as you go. You will probably find most of your answers in the learning center
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As far as grit goes. I do not provide grit, but that is because I free range and my birds have ready access to gravel and sand and find their own grit. If you keep your birds contained then you should provide them grit. They probably do not need it to digest commercial food, but they would need it to digest any plants or treats you offer them. Just place a small pan of it out for them they will eat/play in it.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

4. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Our little duck babies [​IMG]
    Some of our chicks
    [​IMG]
    Chicken-little. She's about a week younger than the rest
    [​IMG]
    The two with darker heads were "unsexed" we think they are both Roos... But that is our extremely uneducated opinions
    [​IMG]

5. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia

The only greens they have gotten was when we took them outside to play in the grass last night. They weren't really sure what to do out there but I'm sure as they get more comfortable they will enjoy more! It was a closely supervised and short field trip though since we had some Hawks fishing in the pond last night.

6. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Get them some grit. This way they can easily digest all that grass and bugs and whatever else they find.

7. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    I will pick some up today!! Thanks. Also getting some Brewers yeast as our pekin seems to perhaps have some leg issues [​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If the chicks are just eating their chick feed, they don't need any grit. If they are being fed treats etc. they probably do. Some folks put a small container of parakeet gravel out for them.

10. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by