New Fowl Woman

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazyChickenLadyinKCMO, Sep 12, 2011.

1. CrazyChickenLadyinKCMO

CrazyChickenLadyinKCMO New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    [​IMG] I'm new to raising chickens. My husband and I started in April building our coop. We have a flock of 5 Buff Orpington laying hens, 1 Frizzled Cuckoo Poland "Momma" hen and her chick, a White Crested Black Poland pullet, an Ameracauna pullet, a New Hampshire Red pullet, and a young Cochin rooster (he just started crowing yesterday). We have friends who have flocks that we've been getting information from, so we've had pretty good luck so far. We have an 8 yr old son who loves "The Girls". Right now we have 20 fertilized eggs we got from one of our friends and we have them in an incubator. Cross your fingers. One question we have at the moment is: How do you keep the smell down in the run? We were spreading sawchips/dust but now it's built up and when it's wet and hot out the stench is horrid as the sawchips hold the moisture and smell. Any suggestions? Thank you.

2. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    [​IMG] what kind of soil do you have under the wood chips? My run is all sand and have never had a problem with smell. I would suggest removing the wood chips/dust to let the run dry out.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! If your run is open to ran I wouldn't put anything down. I'll ocasionally use hay after a really rainy time and it helps with the mud but most times I leave it just dirt. I would also suggest sand to. I'm about to start building a new coop and that;s the onloy reason I don't have any down!! Everyone that uses it LOVES it!! Good Luck!! [​IMG]

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sand is what we have down in our runs, too. Good luck & hope you have a great hatch [​IMG]

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] from KCMO too. When my girls run starts to smell I usually rake out some of the old bedding, throw down some stall dry, and spread out leaves, dried grass clippings, whatever I have on hand.

7. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG]

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL!

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I agree with having sand...one day I'll actually get mine done!

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I see you are getting lots of good suggestions already. Remember, when it comes to odor, moisture is your enemy. Keeping the area as dry as possible is key and, if it does get wet, getting the damp material (sawdust, hay, etc) out of there as soon as possible will help greatly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by