New Free Range Roos Running Amuck

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JFreeman, Aug 11, 2013.

1. JFreeman

JFreeman Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, so I got three free roos off Craigslist. Brought them home, let them go in the immediate vicinity of the old coop house so they would know where to go. Did they stay there? No. They went as far away from it as possible. Night comes around, and they refuse to go near it. I checked it out, there is nothing in it that should discourage them. I just left the door to the old coop open so they can go in if they want to, with water set right outside and some food. How do I teach them to go in at night? They also refuse to let me get anywhere close to them, so I cannot physically put them in.

2. JFreeman

Forgot to mention, they are RIR x Buff Orp mixes

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Unless you can catch them while they're roosting, you might have lost your window of opportunity unless you can net or trap them somehow. When you bring new birds home, it's recommended to put them in the coop and leave them confined for several days, that's how they learn where to go. Your roosters might well take to the trees at night, and you may just have truly free range roosters!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    X2. Your best bet here is to catch them well after dark while they are roosting. Lock them in the coop for about a week before trying to let them out again. If they still roost in the trees, you may have to catch them every night for up to a week and put them in the coop to teach them where to sleep. Clipping their wings would also make it hard for them to roost in the trees and might make the coop look more attractive--I'd do this in addition to what I mentioned above.

5. JFreeman

Sound advice. I wish I thought about locking them in the coop before letting them roam... Thanks again. I hope I can catch them. They were hiding so well this afternoon I couldn't find them. I tried catching them last night, but they were able to see well enough to run away from me, even after flashing them with the flashlight. :( I've got my work cut out for me.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Try using a red cover on your flashlight. Animals notice red light much less and are less likely to run.

I have a headlamp that has a red light setting and I find it invaluable for when I have to do things like move a broody to a new location after dark.

7. JFreeman

That's good to know. I managed to catch two of the three. The third has disappeared again, so I'm just waiting for him to come back so I can catch him too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by