New frizzled polish,unusual molt, how can I help? (Picture added)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teresa-78, Aug 16, 2010.

1. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    My husband brought home two polish chickens, 1 frizzled and one smooth... I noticed when he took them out the box that the frizzled polish did not look right, her feather sheaths look like bones, its really unusual she looks rather sore, please can anyone give me any ideas how to help her?? i was thinking about damping the sheaths and trying to roll them off, or adding vaseline to soften them.....

As you can see her wings are just hard brittle bone like sheaths???? im unsure what to do........

[​IMG]Pic

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    She is beautiful.

I have ducks geese and chickens going threw the same thing, it's normal and while new feathers coming in might be a bit uncomfortable ,i doubt having just feather shafts left is so bad.

I would not put anything on them and just let nature take it's course.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Really?? OMG im so relieved I thought it was not normal, as I have never had polish before..... thankyou so much, I can give a big sigh of relief now [​IMG]

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Frizzles look so much worse when they molt because of the feathers curving out, there is nothing to cover them up as they loose them. She will be just fine in a few weeks.

5. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    so the bone like looking sheathes on the wings are normal?? thank god I was so worried... thanks for all your imput, I really appreciate it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by