New from Alabama also and already have a question!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Teacher1, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Teacher1

Teacher1 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    I am a school teacher and I hatched chicks in my classroom. Got the eggs from a local backyard enthusiast so the breeds were mixed. I kept six of the babies myself and obtained the necessary urban chicken permits... all was fine until the crowing began and three of the flock had to move to a friend's farm.

This morning I had three sweet pets who have been laying eggs for about 10 days. My husband went home at lunch and sent me a message that one of my bantams passed away. Her name was Drumstix and she happened to lay an egg three days ago that did not have a shell. He checked her out thoroughly to make sure nothing had gotten in the pen, and all he noticed was that her back end looked red and raw. So, I am sadly down to 2 chickens, a beautiful large hen that looks alot like a gold laced Wyandotte and the other a tan Auracana bantam... but like I said, they're all somewhat mixed.

Has anyone ever had a chicken pass away from what appears to be "birthing" complications? I am so new to this, that I don't even know what would cause a five month old hen to die. They always have plenty of feed and water as well as clean bedding.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Did she have any other wounds or sore spots on her, any bleeding? Chickens can be little dinosaurs when they want to and sometimes maim or kill others, especially if they see red or bleeding. She seems to have been too young for being egg bound - I'm guessing she just started laying.

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Teacher1, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us. Sorry to hear about your chicken. I'm thinking eggbound on your chicken. Best of luck to you and birds.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Egg laying problems are not all that uncommon. Welcome to BYC. Sorry about the circumstances.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by