New from Alabama(:

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlabamaBelle, Nov 19, 2012.

1. AlabamaBelle

AlabamaBelle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    North Alabama
    Hey!!

So, funny story: My mom and I went grocery shopping today, and I was talking about how it took forever to find a carton of eggs that weren't cracked, and at the register, it was a ridicolous amount of money for not much food. So when we were coming home, I was talking about the garden we're planning for the spring, and then I got to thinking-If fresh, healthier vegetables are cheaper grown at home, wouldn't eggs be cheaper layed at home? And wouldn't fresh eggs be healthier, too? At that point, I didn't even know if it was possible to keep chickens at the house to lay eggs. But now I know it's possible, and I really think it's an awesome idea :)

From chickens, we've grown to deciding to get a sow (female pig) as well, to breed and sell the babies, on top of the garden. We only have an acre and a half, so I'm pretty sure that's going to have to be the limit.

Anyways, back to the chickens, we still have to get the coop built, so we probably won't bring home any chicks for a few months. But, there's nothing wrong with researching before hand, right?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You are definitely on the right track! Between a vegetable garden, a pig and some chickens you will have plenty food and the garden will help feeding the pig and the chickens and save you money there as well. Have you seen our sister site http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/ ?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Alabamabelle, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Souunds like you're jumping right into self-sufficiency! That is awesome. I agree with sumi about checking out the other site. Best of luck to you! Oh, and once you eat farm raised eggs you will never go back!!

4. ingeyoung

ingeyoung Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Georgia
    Welcome!!!! Have fun.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. chickens12

chickens12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  8. HiDesertChicken

HiDesertChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    Coffee County is named for General John Coffee of TN, my great, great, great uncle.

9. AlabamaBelle

AlabamaBelle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    North Alabama
    Thanks everyone!! Such a friendly place :)

My stepdad and I are supposed to start work on the coop this weekend, I'm so excited!!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by