New from Alaska...My turkey started laying last summer, how long will it produce eggs?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AK Chick, Mar 3, 2016.

1. AK Chick

AK Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    We got our first chickens 3 years ago, and put a turkey in with them last summer. We named her Thanksgiving and started feeding her accordingly, giving her lots of fresh greens, good feed,etc. and then she started laying every day. At least one a day, and every 10 days or so, two a day. So we have kept her and wondered why she would lay with no male turkey, and only a rooster and hens in with her. A neighbor said it was pheromones from the rooster. Does anyone know why this happened, and how long she will produce eggs? She has been productive,and saved herself from the chopping block literally:) She's about 15 lbs. and is a Bronze Breasted Turkey.

2. pogmobum

pogmobum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Just like chickens they can lay without a male Turkey no problem, mine always did anyways, the only thing is my bronze turkey ended up having a prolapse (straining to lay and her insides became outsides[​IMG]) after a while and died most likely because bronze turkeys are more breed to gain weight quickly and then be dinner [​IMG] not made to last.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run. :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

1 person likes this.
  6. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Female birds do not require a male to lay eggs. If you want fertile eggs, then you need a male. But just to lay eggs, no male is required.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she did breed with a Tom, you could incubate the eggs and have more dinners growing up. Sounds like she's a good girl and deserves a reprieve.

8. AK Chick

Mar 3, 2016
    Thanks! Everyone is so friendly and informative.

9. AK Chick

Mar 3, 2016
    That's a good idea:) I don't think I have enough room for a Tom just yet, though. I think I'll try incubating eggs next Spring. I have so many projects this Spring! The garden is calling to me...
    Putting in a new vegetable garden is so much work!

10. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

Hi and welcome to BYC! The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken, turkey, duck etc. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area.

(https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread)

The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by