New from Arkansas

maxman

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 25, 2017
Omaha arkansas
Hi,
I am already hip deep in to this hobby /life style. The wife and I did this once two years ago. We set up our incubator on February 4th with 36 eggs that a friend gave us,35 out of 36 was fertile,and we've hatched 31 of those 35 with 4 still in the incubator. I still have hope for them since we did our lock down on the 18th day and the hatch started on the 19th day and is currently on the 21 day. I am searching for information as to why the hatch started 2 days early, my last hatch did the same thing, is it something I have done? Anyway I am happy with 31 out of the 35 eggs hatching if I did the math right that's 88.5%.

Welcome to BYC!
Congratulation on such a successful hatch - that is wonderful! 21 days is just a generality - factors such as temperature can sway the timing a few days either side of that. I always find my broody hatched clutches tend to hatch around 19 - so it isn't just the incubator where these differences happen. What temperature did you run your incubator at? Is the incubator a still air or forced air (fan)?

At the end of the day, while it may not be following the textbook you are clearly doing something right to have such successful hatches, even if they are a couple of days "early"

I wouldn't do a thing 88% is great doesn't mater what day they hatch My best last year was 65% had a hatch on Thursday 62% the first this year
have a nice afternoon
Harry

It is a forced air system, one thermometer reads 38.4C and the other one reads 37.2 C. Humidity at 54%. During the hatch the humidity would go up to as high as 92%, and would drop back down as I removed dry chicks to the brooder 5 or 6 at a time.

Last edited:
G’Day from down under maxman
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I have no experience with incubators, just hatches under a broody hen. Congrats, that is a good hatch rate!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Greetings from Kansas, maxman, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Please you joined our community! I am a hatching rookie but I know enough to know that your success rate was phenomenal!
thumbsup.gif
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom