New From Austin Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OldGuy43, Oct 3, 2011.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, not only new to the forum, but new to "clucker" keeping. ([​IMG]) I found y'all on a Google search for "laying hen temperature". Thank God that I went on to the second page in Google because this was the first place that gave me a real, practical answer. (I will not be providing extra heat for the hens. Thank you! [​IMG])

We live in rural Travis County, Texas on a horse ranch.

We started out this spring with 7 Red Sex-Link hens (Well to be really truthful, 7 hens and one rooster. The rooster ran away the first week.[​IMG]) Only two bits of excitement concerning them. The first when we brought them home. Our rescued dog, an elderly short-haired German Pointer jumped into the bed of the pickup. What can I say, she's a bird dog. No real harm done. They were in a cage. The next was a bit more disastrous. A neighbors dog was getting into the yard, driving the chickens out of their run and killing them. We lost 3. Clipped wings, better fencing and the judicious use of a pellet gun on the dog solved that problem and we replaced the lost hens.

The only real problem we're having is egg production. Everything I've read says we should get 1-2 eggs per day per hen. We're only getting 3-5 total per day. Not a big deal as that's more than enough for us, our neighbors and friends, but I was hoping to have some to sell. That we are having the hottest, driest summer on record may have something to do with it. I don't know. We just added three more hens to the flock, changed their feed and it's finally cooling off so I have hope.

I look forward to finding more practical advice here when I have time to read thorough the forum, but right now I have to go to the hardware store to get some stuff to repair the the roof on the nesting box. The wind blew it off.[​IMG]

OldGuy43 [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Hello and [​IMG] from MS, glad to see you took care of the neighbors dog good for you [​IMG] luckily our neighbors dogs (german shepards) are used to livestock or I'd have a mess on my hands! Hope you enjoy the site!!

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Happy to have you here. Not sure what you are using for your egg calculations, but I would think that 5-7 eggs a day would be great. At best, you should expect one egg per hen per day.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, OldGuy43 and [​IMG]. Unsure on your productivity woes but I agree with greymane's assessment. Best of luck to you!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

9. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hello from a fellow Austinite (though I've only lived here since May) and just got my chicks last Friday, so I can't offer any real help or advice about the egg laying yet. Hopefully you'll get some good responses from these folks and will be able to dole out advice to me in the early spring when my girls should start laying. Welcome!

[​IMG]

10. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by