New from California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Coursair, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Coursair

Coursair Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Concord, CA
    Hi I'm Tina. I've been lurking and reading for a few months. Finally joined tonight.

I was raised around my grandparents' farm in Crescent City, CA. I can remember collecting eggs, milking cows and holding the baby chicks.

Flash forward to my 20's I got married and rescued a unwanted Easter chick. Which of course grew up as a Rooster. I thought he was an Aracauna ( looking back prob a Ameracauna or mix ) ? So I bought 3 female Aracauna chicks ( mislabeled ... really either Ameracauna or Easter Eggers ). I loved my Chickens. All were very tame and laid greenish eggs. The Rooster got rehomed once he started attacking my old Sheltie.

Currently I've moved onto 2.5 acres. I'm living in an old farmhouse/bungalow. I'm trying to work out a way to build a coop and a henyard or chicken tractor. I only want 3-4 hens. Just enough for eggs for 3 people.

First I have to finish fencing the dog area. I compete with my two Whippets. I've had Whippets since 1988. I've also had my Sheltie and a Borzoi plus I fostered various Sighthounds over the years.

I've been an educational Falconer , here is an old pic [​IMG]

I have a flight cage with a couple of Parakeet males.

My other hobby is planted aquariums.
    My 10g[​IMG][​IMG]

My newly set up 55g
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Tina

Glad you could join the flock! It's great to hear you are getting back into keeping chickens :D The learning centre sure does have some fabulous articles that will really help you get back into the swing of things. There is also the coop section that has some fab designs and Ideas that could help you out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs
    Thanks for posting your pics, they are lovely!

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Coursair

Mar 12, 2016
    Concord, CA
    Thank you ! I really miss my hens. I live very close to a feed store than carries chicks. But I prefer to get them from breeders when I can.

I helped a bf set up his flock of 6. This is me with one of his hens about a year ago
    [​IMG]

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Tina and a warm welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your chicken keeping renaissance.

All the best
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Tina, very nice to meet you. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your aquariums are beautiful. I used to show and breed Cockers many, many years ago. At the OLD International Kennel Club of Chicago, they used to have whippet races - spectators were jammed around them. A late friend, used to show Afghans.

8. Coursair

Mar 12, 2016
    Concord, CA
    Thanks all for the warm welcome [​IMG]

My Whippets mostly run AKC and ASFA Lure Coursing.

I've had Whippets since 1988
    My first boy did Conformation
    [​IMG]
    Obedience
    [​IMG]

And Lure Coursing
    [​IMG]

In early 90's had my first Owner handles conformation Champion
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then in 2007/2008 Cara in Blue was in top 20 Whippets for Lure Coursing in US and Misty my other ***** (1/2 sister) in Pink was tied with their sire for #15 in the country
    [​IMG]

These days I don't do much Oval Track as the race bred Whippets may be twice the weight of mine and I don't want accidental injuries at the finish line as they pile into the lure.

Mine are all show bred and Cara is only 25#. She is a petite but fierce competitor.

Apologies for the blatant bragging.

Angelina is my 10mo old puppy. She's my current project. Her Dam won our National Specialty ( over 300 Whippets entered ) in 2013.
    [​IMG]

So far she'd prefer to race than show [​IMG]
    You are supposed to resemble your dogs...I keep buying skinny dogs....it's not working [​IMG]

Tina
    Coursair Whippets est 1988

9. Coursair

Mar 12, 2016
    Concord, CA
    Substitute female for the correct but edited term b*tch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by