New from Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HighAltitudeHens, Jun 22, 2011.

1. HighAltitudeHens

HighAltitudeHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi! I am new to chickens, and in fact don't actually have any yet, but have been watching our friends' flock since they started a year ago. I am now thoroughly addicted! [​IMG]

I live high in the mountains (at 9,000 ft) above Denver with my husband, a white cat and a large black dog. We have children and grandchildren who live in Denver and visit often. We only talked about being close to food sources when the kids were still at home, but I'd really like to introduce the reality of it to my grandkids. So I plan on keeping 4 to 6 hens at a time (go ahead, laugh...) and butchering/replacing them when egg production falls off. As I understand it, I have a few years before I have to stick to my guns on that choice! [​IMG]

Right now, though, I am collecting wood (yay Craigslist!) to put together a coop about 4x4x4, double-walled and insulated. I have an offer from friends of cedar panelling that they just pulled out of their rec room. Would that be okay for the outside wall, or is the cedar still going to cause respiratory problems for my chickens?

I am also trying to plot a small chick order that will result in a mixed group of 4 (or more) adult hens. I need cold-hardy, docile birds... I am thinking Faverolles, Speckled Sussex and Wyandottes, and maybe Light Brahmas next Spring. Any comments or ideas?

2. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    [​IMG] Hello from Northern California. Raised in Littleton though and went to Columbine High. Oh, how I miss Denver. Do you still have the outdoor ice skating ring downtown? I remember ditching school many times to go skating [​IMG]

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas [​IMG]
    I wish I could help you out but my birds stay HOT all the time. I am sure someone will chime in to help you tho. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hello from just south of you in New Mexico!! I too am up in elevation at 7,000 feet. Ain't this livin in the clouds just great? [​IMG] You will really enjoy this site. The folks here are just loaded with information. You will learn so much in just a few weeks just posting and reading!

Enjoy your new chickens!

6. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. HighAltitudeHens

HighAltitudeHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    To discover egg...My husband (he is a native) told me that the outdoor rink that was next to Joslin's is long gone. But they have one in the new Belmar shopping center on the site of old Villa Italia.

9. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by