1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from East Texas.... HI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GnaMtz, Mar 23, 2016.

1. GnaMtz

GnaMtz New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Henderson, Texas
    Good afternoon... I grew up with chickens at both sets of grandparents houses and loved helping gather eggs and tending to their needs. Now it's many years later and it has never dawned on me that I could have chickens of my own. None yet but hoping for a few in abt 2 weeks.
    I'm using this time to try and get supplies together and learn enough to be a good "mom" when they come home. I've bought 2 "for dummies" books. One arrived just a couple of days ago and the other is due to arrive Friday. I've been pouring over different threads here and have enjoyed reading the advice and stories that everyone's posted..... Finally decided to join today.
    Thank you for having me and I look forward to learning much more.....Jena

1 person likes this.
  2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    Welcome fellow Texan! We're glad you're here. My family is from East Texas and people say I sound like it :) Please feel free to ask any questions we're happy to help

3. GnaMtz

GnaMtz New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Henderson, Texas
    Is good to be here. My mom is originally from East Tx. I was mostly raised in South Tx.... Yorktown, Taft, Realitos.
    Moved up here in 2009 and everytime my sons call they say I'm starting to sound like east Tx lol
    My mom hasn't lived up this way in years and she still has that East Texas sound :)
    I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once the chicks come home. Has been a long long long time since I've been around chickens and I've NEVER been around chicks. A little nervous but I know I can do this :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. You may like to visit the "Raising Backyard chickens," forum - it has a section for raising chicks.

5. pohnjarker

pohnjarker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Mabank, Tx
    Welcome, welcome!

East Texas here also.

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jena and [​IMG] - glad to have you onboard.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced chicken keepers - loads of info on anything chicken. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box) - as you can see already, we have more than a couple of Texans here at BYC [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

7. Wendy High

Wendy High Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2016
    Ben Wheeler, Tx
    Eeeek!! Found peeps really close to me. One of the main reasons I decided to go ahead and join. Another main reason, I started chicken addiction in 2015 & by 2016 I needed help. This site has been fantastic. Glad I found my neighborhood peeps. Thank you pohnjarker, I found it through your profile. :)

Now I am a follower.
    :frow

8. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    Welcome to BYC!

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by