New from Eastern South Dakota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oredenbacher, Apr 20, 2017.

1. oredenbacher

oredenbacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    Eastern SD
    Hi All! Great site here! We just got our first chicks yesterday. So far, so good. The people at the store weren't sure what the one chick breed was. [​IMG] We know we got (3) bantams, (2) asian blacks, and (2) ?leghorns?.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Probably an Ameraucana. Welcome to BYC! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me. Good luck on your chicken-raising adventure!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! They are way too young to sex but you might post in the link below for some breed predictions. Feed/Farm & Ranch stores are a little risky when picking out chicks. They sometime have cheap chicks in bins called a "Fry Pan Special" or some such name - these are surplus roosters that will otherwise go unsold. Many is the person who went home with cute chicks that grew up into handsome and noisy roosters when they were looking for at least a couple hens. Additionally, sometimes chicks get mixed up in the various bins in feed stores and you really know what you're getting. Unsexed would suggest that half are hens based on the law of averages....so I guess you'll have to wait and see.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    And here's a link where you can chat with fellow SD poultry folks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    And here are a couple links that will assist you with your chicks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!! Hope you get a lot of hens!!

4. oredenbacher

oredenbacher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    Eastern SD
    Thanks for the info! I guess I got a little ahead of myself & put questions in my new member thread. :) I'll move them to the appropriate threads. [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under oredenbacher [​IMG] Welcome & Congratulations!

It is all good and OK to ask questions in the New Member Introductions Forum if you are introducing yourself. This gives us not only the opportunity to Welcome you to BYC but also to point you in the right direction with any questions you have.

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Given the chicks came from a feed store the likelihood of them having an Ameraucana are highly improbably -- though an Easter Egger would be possible. That said, the chipmunk markings are a down pattern common to many breeds, and this photo does not show sufficient portions of any of the chicks to be properly ID'd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by