New from Fairbanks, Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by frostbite, Sep 27, 2011.

1. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Will from time to time be seeking advice particularly on managing chickens in sub-zero temperatures, particularly from folks who also have to deal with this issue. Still remodeling a playhouse into a coop, haven't wired it yet, but I plan to have an electric water heater to keep the water fluid, and an incandescent light (I stocked up on incandescents before they become illegal) on a timer to give them light during the day (we also get a lot of dark in the winter, only about three to four hours of daylight in December) and a little extra heat. The coop is insulated with 2" foam all around, sheathed with plywood. It's a smallish coop, I can stand up in it, but the floor is a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood, with the square footage reduced by adding insulation, it's enough for 4 square feet apiece for about 6 cold-hardy hens and one bantam silkie. I'll get chicks this coming spring.

Anyone out there with experience with this? We can get down to 40 below or colder, more commonly it gets 20-30 below for days or weeks at a time, but can also warm up to 30 above if the right warm air masses move in. The temperature can change up or down by 40-60 degrees in a few hours, when the conditions are right.

Today it was a balmy 55 degrees, and no snow yet, life is good...

[​IMG]

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum! I can't help with raising chickens in the cold (very temperate where I am) but I wanted to say hello and welcome you! My family is in Alaska...I lived in Ketchikan for 10 years....and my sister went to college in Fairbanks. [​IMG] Good luck with your chickens.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Send us some cold air, we're tired of the record heat down here...low 90's for the rest of this week.

4. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks, Dancing Hen. Ketchikan for 10 years is definitely Alaskan!

Poor Dawg! I feel for ya, buddy. You can always put more clothes on when it gets colder, but I have no idea how you cope with the heat. I used to live more southerly, but this suits me better. I'll do what I can to encourage some cold air masses to move down your way!

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Can't help much, but hello just the same. We do get an occasional day below zero, but they are rare and not really a concern. Obviously, the key elements are keeping the chickens dry and draft free. Beyond that, they need little temperature control. I am sure there are things people do for the extremes, however. The most common is a heat lamp in the coop. Again, welcome, and I hope you get better answers.

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Hi there frostbite, I live in Seattle now but grew up in Alaska. Sounds like you have a good handle on the cold there. I think the keys will be dry, ventilation and draft free.

Imp

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from non-frosty Kansas, frostbite, and [​IMG]. Best of luck working with your chilly chickens! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I dont have to deal with the weather you have, but we do have some Alaskan members on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by