New from Georgia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sukr4chkns, Apr 18, 2012.

1. sukr4chkns

sukr4chkns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Hi all. Just recently discovered the joy of owning chickens. My family and I decided to make the decision in a move towards becoming more self sufficient. All be it a small step, we've found it to be more enjoyable than first thought.

The whole process has been a wonderful opportunity for us to bond with each other and the chickens. Neither of us has much experience in carpentry let alone chickens, but we had a blast building the coop and run. We don't have a great deal of tools, but enough to get the job done. We picked up 3 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Rhode Island Reds that are about a month away from starting to lay. We also bought a couple younger birds from a friend. We have slowly been introducing them to the older birds and everyone seems to be getting along well.

One of our Rhode Island Reds appears to be sick. She has watery eyes and has some difficulty breathing at times. We have separated her from the rest of the flock and are nursing her back to health. Today she seemed much better.

I had no idea how fun and enjoyable it was going to be owning chickens, but I have to say...............I'm hooked. I'm planning on attending a chicken swap this weekend with a relative of mine. Perhaps I'll get another bird or two. Just need to do some more research first.

Anyway, look forward to being a part of the forum. I'll have some pics to post of our coop and birds soon.

Take care.

sukr4chkns

2. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Jacob Temple

Jacob Temple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    about time to see someone from georgia on here , oh and congrats lol

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

5. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    hello and welcome to BYC!! :D

you have made an awesome choice! one of the main reasons i started raising chickens was for the eggs as well.... it turns out im getting more from them than just eggs! i am getting love! every day i am learning something new and every day i love them more and more. they are not just chickens, they are my pets. they are family [​IMG]
    i hope you little sick one feels better soon so she can go back to pecking around with the others. this is a great site BTW, any questions you might ever have im sure you can find an answer here! you are surrounded by other feathered friends on this forum :D

good luck!

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I bet building your coop would've been a very memorable experience! :gig I hope you have many rewarding experiences raising your chickens. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site! :D

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens