New from Gloucester County, VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chrystallace, Mar 22, 2015.

1. chrystallace

chrystallace New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Saluda, Virginia
    It's been a long time coming. I have finally gotten hubby used to the idea of having our own coop. He was previously a bona-fide city boy. I finally got him in the country after 10 years of marriage and it has only taken me 2 more years to convince him to have chickens! (Round of applause) I grew up on a small chicken farm (inside and out) and want this experience for my children. We are HUGE animal loveers with two dogs and four cats. I do have a question for the chicken savvy! As I mentioned, we have two "freerange" dogs ;) . We have an invisable fence that spans an acre and were planning on putting the coop well outside of that acre next to our 30×40 garden. I want my new chicken family to be happy and away from my pooches (one is a lab/terrier mix) Sorry, I'm getting long winded here....I have seen a recent post on social media about having free range chickens but still protected from preditors in a chicken wire tunnel of sorts. This tunnel is as long and wide as you wish to make it and I was looking to run it halfway around my huge garden. Has anyone had experience with this? Should I dig down the domed wire for protection and to make sure they can't dig out? (I remember as a childen having one or two chickens that dug a hole in the grounground and squeezed their little bums out.) We do have other preditors out here like Bald Eagles, Bobcats and Foxes. Help! I am planning on getting Araucanas for there great temperaments and long laying season. I am also up for any suggestions on breed of chickens. I have two young children, 9 & 6, and I want them to be hands on. I am even up for having one in the house as a partial indoor pet (had one as a child and loved her so very much!) I want a breed that is layed back and easy going, but still tons of personality! And GO!!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Are you talking about those Chunnels? Made of wire and the chickens can walk through them around the yard? I have never used these. You might ask around in our Coop and Run Construction forums about this.

Be very careful with the dogs. Most dogs see chickens as dinner, no matter how sweet the dogs are.

My yard is full of predators that lurk on the ground and in the skies. So my birds are let out to free range under supervision only and the rest of the time are in a sturdy predator proof run.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on!! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us. Enjoy your chicken adventure.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello from a fellow Virginian [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Definitely be careful with dogs and chickens.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Actually you have to be careful with dogs AND cats, the both love chickens, but, in the wrong way.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by