New from Grammer Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GrammerJohn, Mar 1, 2015.

1. GrammerJohn

GrammerJohn Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2015
    Columbus, IN
    Greetings,

I have found a lot of helpful information on this site over the last couple of months. I decided to join in on the fun and further my education of keeping chickens :)

Here is a pic of my girls. 2 RIR and an ISA? Red is on the left, Helen is the middle and Gertrude (my first one) is in the "bath".
    [​IMG]

How I got started keeping chickens.

A couple of months ago I noticed a RIR out at the back of my yard in the edge of the woods. She was so fun to watch out there. She kept scratching around in the leaves and I would notice her butt constantly in the air. I thought it was strange as none of my neighbors keep chickens. Long story short, one of the neighbors adopted 4 chickens from a friend that was moving. This is the only one that survived. I kept noticing her in the back yard for a few days in a row. I started feeding her some bird food as I felt sorry for her. I had some meal worms that I feed the birds so I gave her some of those. She became much more friendly after feeding her a few of them. :)

Come to find out she was living under our deck. I couldn't let her fend for herself so I cleaned out the shed in our back yard at the edge of the woods for her to at least have somewhere safe to sleep at night.
    [​IMG]

One of the first things I read on this forum was that they need companions. So I searched Craigslist to see who might have some for sale in my area. I ended up driving an hour and a half... I picked up a couple friends for her. Gertrude is the boss, followed by Red then Helen. They have been getting along good for the last 6 weeks or so and laying 2 sometimes 3 eggs a day. I enjoy spending time with them. The weather has been cold and snowy here the last 3 weeks. They have spent a lot of time in the coop. They do not enjoy the snow and show no interest in going out in it. They are let out under close supervision as I can not build a run yet due to frozen ground. I shoveled a path for them and put down hay so they could pick around a bit.

Here is a picture of them on a nearby stump. Silly birds!
    [​IMG]

I was planning on buying chicks in the spring but now having the big girls I'm not sure I want to go through with that. I would like to add more to the flock but it would probably be best, and easiest to just buy some more grown birds. The coop is 6'x8'. I want to add another 5 or 6 birds but was hoping to find someone closer to my home.

Thanks for looking,

John

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great looking group you've got there! What part of the state is Grammer in?

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad to have another member to the growing poultry community! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I'm sure you'll find answers to them here! [​IMG]Great intro! Yup, it looks like you have 2 RIR's and an ISA (red sexlink) to me too. Enjoy your flock!

4. GrammerJohn

GrammerJohn Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2015
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks for the welcome!

I updated my profile. I'm SE of Columbus.

John

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Well, you're not all that far from us, then - howdy "neighbor"!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your chickens!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

You have a nice little flock! Good luck with them.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. GrammerJohn

GrammerJohn Just Hatched

Feb 26, 2015
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks all for the warm welcome! [​IMG]

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by