New from Houston

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VictorX, Feb 24, 2012.

1. VictorX

VictorX Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    I have been raising Rhode Island Reds for eggs for about a year and my wife and just decided we wanted to try our hand at broilers. Any advice or suggestions on breed and methods would be helpful. This is agreat forum and I will be uploading more pics real soon.[​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    cornish rock cross and a good quality feed.

3. VictorX

Feb 24, 2012
    That has been the consensus here on BYC. How does one pick a quality breeder. I am very interested in raising antibiotic-free, hormone free birds for consumption. What are some suggestions on chick providers?

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michgan [​IMG]

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. The chicks are going to be pretty much the same from where ever you get them. It will just depend on how you raise them. My advice when raising broiliers is not to raise them with your layers. Meat birds are quite stinky. :sick but well worth it. :drool

6. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    The quality does not matter as much because of vigor provided by the cross. I would get the birds from whatever hatchery is closest to you. The quality will come from the care they receive. What do you mean by how to pick out a breeder? Someone to buy chicks from or picking your own breeding a flock? If it's just chicks I tend to favor heritage breeds/breeders but that does not fit this scenario.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. VictorX

Feb 24, 2012
    May be using the wrong languagw ehn I said "breeder". More appropriately "hatchery" should have been used.

9. wren

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I would encourage you to pick out chicks from a hatchery that is closest to you. If you could pick them up yourself it would save the chicks a lot of stress. Be sure to put a little organic apple cider vinegar with "mother" in it in their water to avoid poopy butts.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by