New from Knoxville, TN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AustinRhea, Aug 12, 2013.

1. AustinRhea

AustinRhea Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG] My screen name is AustinRhea on a few different boards out there in cyber space, so some of you may have "seen" me around. I guess first to answer the introduction questions. [​IMG]

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    **I got my first 6 pullets in November 2012. I lost 1 to an accident, she got her head stuck in between the roost and some chicken wire and broke her neck, and 2 others of the same breed to some strange sickness. I got 9 more in March 2013. A friend is giving me a hen and 2 roosters tomorrow night, which will bring my total to 13 hens and 2 roosters.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    **13 hens and 2 roosters

(3) What breeds do you have?
    **I have 2 White Leghorns, 1 Speckled Sussex, 2 Barred Rocks, 4 Ameraucanas, 3 Speckled Sussex (at least that is what I bought but they don't look like my older girl). I will be getting 1 EE hen and 2 EE roosters from my friend tomorrow night.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    ** From "A Chicken in Every Yard" and from someone on a Meet-up site I am a member of.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    ** I recently started raising rabbits. I am going to can for the first time tomorrow. I have been trying to learn to grow a garden. I love to read, watch TV and watch movies. I want to learn to knit sometime this year as well.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    **I am 35 and disabled with a back problem. I moved to Knoxville, TN in October 2001. I married my wonderful husband in July of 2003. First of 2012 I began to read up on prepping. Getting chickens [​IMG] was my first big move in prepping. I am raising them for meat and egg.
    I also recently started raising rabbits. [​IMG] I got my 4 breeders about a month ago. I will have my first set of kits around Thanksgiving or Christmas. We have 5 cats, 8 dogs (1 Chihuahua, 1 Boston Terrier/Chihuahua, 1 Dachshund/Chihuahua, 1 Jack Russell, 1 American Rottweiler, 1 Male Pit Bull, 1 Female Pit Bull, & 1 Hound mix), and a Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pig on top of the chickens and rabbits.

My chickens live in a 10'x10' coop with a 10'x10' run. I will be building a separate building and run for the roosters.

The hen in my avatar is an Ameraucana. Her name is Ginger.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, AustinRhea, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sounds like you have a very busy farm! Good luck to you and your flock!!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome!

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site and best of luck to you!

5. mturgeon

mturgeon New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Thank you,,
    I have my coop now I'm looking for my chickens!!! Hoping this site will teach me a few tricks!!!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012