new from los angeles :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CuriousQuail, Sep 22, 2012.

1. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]
    I've always wanted a few hens and a rooster, but I decided that it might not work out with the space I have. I can certainly make a 3x6 spot for some quails! And I'll probably make it about 18 inches high. After reading about quails they seem to be frail but very easy to maintain (and pay you back with lovely eggs!)

I would grow them for meat but the only time I've ever seen an animal butchered for meat was a duck when I was about 8? No warning at all my uncle just slit it's throat and it ran out of his grasp and died in the backyard... I was like [​IMG]

I mean I could cull if needed but I don't know if I could continually do it for meat! So for now I'd probably like less than a dozen Cotunix Quails and my 3x6 space should be more than enough space if i researched correctly.

SO my first order of business is to prepare a coop for my future quail.
    THEN I need to learn how to make an incubator or find some live ones nearby.
    If i go the route of incubating myself I need a brooder and to learn more about the first 3-6 weeks of a quail's needs...

I found a local craigslist add but he had so many breeds spammed at the bottom it made me feel insecure about purchasing from him? Lots of button quails available though.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Quails are adorable little birds and their eggs are nice. I'd suggest you post in the Quail section and ask the members there about their housing, feeding, breeding etc. You can also try the Buy~Sell~Trade section here to see if anyone near you has quail for sale. Good luck with your venture and have fun!

1 person likes this.
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    howdy from central ca.

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    Greetings From South Carolina. I set 55 Pharaoh quail eggs today in the incubator as a matter of fact I raise Rhode Island Reds and those quail. It takes longer to tell you how to clean a quail then it does to do it. and no mess at all my way.
    Somewhere on here I posted plans once upon a time to make home made incubators that work much better and are much larger then commercial styrofoam incubators using those fish crates the pet stores throw away every shipment of tropical fish. an online incubator warehouse is your best friend.
    Quail have a few advantages over the chickens ( like hatching out a week sooner and being ready to eat or lay in 6 weeks ) If I can help let me know.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by