New from Loxahatchee, Fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by babychicklox, Mar 22, 2015.

1. babychicklox

babychicklox Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi there, we are a new chicken family....just brought home 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Welsummer babies who were born on St Patricks Day:):)

My hubby is going to build their coop soon but for now they have a small home on our back porch:). We plan to free range atleast a few hours a day but with us being new and we have two small kids who are so attached already....I have questions about preditor "proofing". our coop??

Any recommendations/pictures for making the safest home for our new babies?? Also, we want to be as organic as possible so any ideas on food/treats would be great!!

Thanks so much!!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You might start by looking at our coops pages. Lots of good ideas on how to build your coop to be predator proof...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Make sure to build it like fort knox. If you feel safe sleeping in there, then the birds will be safe. Never use chicken wire on any external surfaces. Hardware cloth only. 1/2 inch will do. Everything eats chicken. So never leave even the tiniest hole or place a critter can dig, chew or tear apart to get in.

Have you seen our learning center yet? Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping your new birds. We have a treats chart there as well. I will include both links for you...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask in the forums. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

1 person likes this.
  4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us, let us know if we can help you with anything!

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on your new chicks! Rhode Island Reds and Welsummers are two nice breeds that should lay very well for you.

TwoCrows has given you some good information on predator-proofing a coop.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!