New from Manteca, Ca/NEED ROOSTER ADVICE

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oh-six-chickies, Apr 7, 2011.

1. oh-six-chickies

oh-six-chickies New Egg

Apr 7, 2011
    Don't know if Im doing this right or where this post will end up..lol

Need Rooster advise:

Have six chicks about five/six weeks old, 2RIR, 1 Barred Rock and 3 Australorps(one should have been a barred rock). Im sure one RIR is a Roo and 1 Austalorp is one as well. (BTW, do the young ones have white primary feathers?)

One RIR has a upsidedown u shaped tail and the slightly larger RIR has more of a V shape to the taill. However, the neck feathers dont appear pointed, or is it too soon to tell. Can send pix if needed.

Does anyone know of resources to find roosters homes. I cant have roosters in town and it figures that I have bonded most with the RIR roo. I know roosters are usually killed or not excepted in shelter.

One more question (I have a lot) is there any advantage other than personal choice to have the coop door on the front or coming from underneath the coop.

Thank
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Yes the young Australorps have the white feathers. How old are we talking on the roos. They will begin to get their saddle feathers. A pic would help, but you will have to do some posting before you will be able to post pics. The coop door really depends on your set up of your coop and run. Check out the coop section, there are a lot of good ideas there. [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

4. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    Welcome!

You may try asking your local feed store about your roos, or try Craigslist.

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how you feel about freezer camp if you've bonded with a roo, but that was my suggestion. I have mine for eggs, mainly, but I'm working on raising chicks for meat.
    I can't answer about the door, though.

7. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania! If you are thinking about having your chicken door in the floor keep in mind the bedding may get kicked out easily. You will want to build a ledge around the opening to keep the bedding in. Good luck!

8. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. This site has something for everyone.

We have given away a lot of roos through Craigs list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by