New from Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bianca67, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    Have finally convinced DH to let me raise chickens! Am in the process now of collecting as much "used" materials as I can to save money in building the coop and run. I am obsessed with getting as much reading material and info as I can absorb right now. I am SO EXCITED:lol:!!! Anyone with any ideas on ways to save money on building supplies I would greatly appreciate the info.

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    First of all Welcome from southwest Louisiana
    I would hit up construction sites for scap material, I break down pallets alot. Or just stop and ask people that have a pile of scrap in their yard if they want to get rid of it. I save alot of money useing scrap material

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hi and welcome to BYC.[​IMG] Good luck with finding the materials. We built our coop inside the garage with the run along side the house. I think that saved us a lot of money material wise. My coop is 12x4x8 and the run is 22x5x5. My dh isn't that fond of chickens himself. Although, there hasn't been any complaining on his part. I take really good care of the chickens by myself.

A lot of people use wood pallets as their coop. Maybe a big store like Lowes, Menards, fleetfarm, or whatever is near you would have them free? Check freecycle and craigslist too.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! [​IMG]

5. chickencoopforthesoul

chickencoopforthesoul New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    We just got chickens this year. We are from Mich also. where abouts in Michigan are you from?

6. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania! We are glad you joined!

8. Bianca67

Bianca67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Cedar Springs, MI
    Live north of Grand Rapids in Cedar Springs.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    HALLOOOOO! Glad to see another Michigander! We have a pretty active thread in the "Where Are You?" Part of the forum [​IMG]

10. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Quote:Try Freecycle. I was able to get all the shingles I needed for roofing my coop. You just post what you want and people give it to you!!! It is also a great way to get rid of clutter from your home. You see a posting of something someone is looking for and realize you have it sitting, unused in your garage or basement. They come and haul it away for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by