New from Michigan!

Flynnchicken

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Warren Michigan
Hello everyone. I'm in southeast Michigan and very new to chicken farming that I don't have any chickens yet. But I have to start somewhere right?
My name is Shannon, married with two kids. I have freshwater fish, saltwater fish, cats, a rat, and a cockatoo. I used to breed clownfish but ran into a problem with disease and lost all my breeding pairs. :-( but that's what brings me into chickens.
I've always wanted to live on a farm and have lots of chickens, maybe a cow and a horse or two, but living in the city I can only have chickens.
Already learning lots of things, and excited to learn more.
Was thinking about the Australorp, red star, Orpington, silkie, and maybe a white faced black Spanish for my flock. Was also thinking of the silver laced seabrights and the little seramas.
Looking forward to meeting you all.
Shannon

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You would have a nice mixed flock with those breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best brown egg layers among the standard breeds. Red Sex Links (Red Stars) are egg laying machines, and Buff Orpingtons are beautiful, friendly, gentle birds that lay lots of large, brown eggs. I've had Black Silkies in the past, and they are sweet, funny, friendly little birds. I also had Silver Laced Sebrights, and they are cheerful and gorgeous bantams. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly look into Buff orps. They are sweet, affectionate, lap hogs, great layers and cold hardy. Silkies are great too. Black australorps are just like orps. Sex links are egg laying machines but are generally wild.

Hello from Ohio....
I'd bet my bottom dollar that you have come to the right place to learn everything Chicken!
Take a good look around. Between basics, breed information, how-to's, videos, tutorials, supplies, etc., you'll have it covered here.
There's always someone willing to help!
So, welcome to the flock, as they say and enjoy your newest journey into the love of chickens!

Welcome to BYC, I'm a sucker for the bantam breeds which are not limited to seramas, silkies, sebrights- many of the popular large fowl breeds come in batam size also like Cochins, Salmon faverolles, Orpingtons,

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Check out the Learning Center for articles on getting started, choosing breeds, etc. Enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Great breed choices to look into. If it helps I made a list..more like a powerpoint hehe with all the breeds I'd consider. Then I hit the books and listed all the pros and cons until I could finally narrow it down. Would love an update on what breeds you settle on. Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am a huge fan of the Orpington Breeds....Buff Orpingtons and the Black Australorps. Both of these are very friendly, docile, great layers and very winter and summer hardy. My Aussies are huge on the lap sitting and fight over who gets to sit closest to mommy!

Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of helpful articles to help get you started. Sumi has left you with the link.

Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

Baybay peepers, that's exactly what I did. I got a list of the best layers and wrote them down and listed the pros and cons of each. I was also interested in the Rhode island reds, my work has a hen and a rooster, and I red that they can be bullies. If I want to have the seramas, silkies and sebrights they may get picked on. So I crossed RIR and a few others off my original list. I have a five year old boy, so I had to cross off Leghorn's, because they are flighty. I'm figuring getting the chicks in the late spring so I still have time to decide on breeds.

Back
Top Bottom