New from Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jallinder, Oct 12, 2014.

1. jallinder

jallinder Hatching

Oct 12, 2014
    Mississippi
    While I don't have any chickens yet, I plan to read posts and explore the various breeds.

I've never owned chickens before. I have four dogs & three horses and just moved a new house on 10 acres. I'm eager to learn as much as I can prior to getting started.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

2. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Songster

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the flock! I have barred rocks, black australorps, black sexlinks, and some mutts. My six laying hens are giving me about a dozen eggs every 2-3 days and lay good thru the winter with no added light or heat. We live in TN so our winters are probably not much different from yours. Most of my mixed breed chickens are not old enough to lay yet so I don't know how they will do. Only one hen has gone broody in the 18 months I've had them and she's a mutt of unknown breeds. She was supposed to be a light sussex but definitely is not. She hatched and raised 8 chicks like a pro. They are so much fun to watch and fresh eggs are awesome. I want buff orpingtons next spring. I've heard they are good broody hens and I would love to grow my flock and let momma hen do the work. Good luck with whatever breeds you choose.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Some other good charts you might want to check out regarding the various breeds are at http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf, http://albc-usa.etapwss.com/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf, and http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx. Also, Murray McMurray has an excellent chick selector tool at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html to help you determine which breeds are best for you. Just be sure and click on "show more characteristics." For first time chicken owners I recommend breeds with a very calm and gentle reputation such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, or Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list and Cochins are the poorest (although they are the best brooders and mothers). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

6. Chickie my my

Chickie my my In the Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    Glad you are part of the flock, I have Barred Rocks and Red sex links. I have only join about a month ago, My Barred Rocks are so gentle and lay every day ; My Sex Links lays Huge Eggs ,and also love attention. Welcome from another Mississippi Southern Girl...Luv my Birds .

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Songster

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Jallinder,

WELCOME TO BYC!![​IMG] Good idea to learn how to swim before you jump in the lake! Glad to have you here. Let us know if you have any questions.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Always room on the roost for more at Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by