New from New Jersey <3

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ttstar8941, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ttstar8941

ttstar8941 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    New Jersey
    Need advice or at least hope! Just started my backyard flock two months ago with five chicks, different ages, different breeds. Two Plymouth barred rocks, 2 months old Oct 25, two buff Orpingtons, 3 weeks old Oct 25, and one silkie, 1 week old Oct 25. So far one barred rock turned out to be a rooster and we couldn't keep him where we live :( broke my heart. I just gave him up yesterday to a farm and took home an 11 month old cream legbar, I hope. So far my hens hate her. She's pushy, blocks the coop doorway, won't let them eat and they nearly knocked me over this morning when I opened their door to say hello, they couldn't get in my arms fast enough. Its only been a day, and one overnight with them all confined in the coop. How long will this last? I know she's new, and several months older than all of them, but will she ever come around to me or them?

-Sad my happy flock is so upset :(

Did I make a mistake with choosing her?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You didn't necessarily make a mistake in choosing her but it sounds like she wasn't integrated in the most generally accepted way. Whenever you get new additions to your flock, the new birds need to be isolated for about 30 days so you can be sure they are healthy and not going to pass a sickness or pest to your existing flock. After the isolation period, new birds need to be "seen but not touched" by the existing birds. That gives them all a chance to get used to one another...chickens are not friendly to newbies dropped amongst them. It's a slow, gradual process but one that will help them all be more accepting of one another.

3. ttstar8941

ttstar8941 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    New Jersey

Thank you for the quick response! Wish he told me that, shucks! He simply said they'll fight a bit but it'll be fine. My four havent been mean one bit, it's really just her. She was raised differently than my initial flock. They were all spoken to and held each day I've had them. How can I make her more social? Will they come around? I don't have the means of separation really. It's only a small flock of five, one coop.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ttstar, and :welcome! Here's the link to that article NFC mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method
    She sounds like the boss hen, that's for sure but I hope it will soon settle in to a peaceful social order. Here's a link to an article about chicken bullies: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bullying-behavior-in-chickens
    And here's one that explains pecking order: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order
    Hopefully you will be able to glean some useful information for your situation. Best of luck to you! :)

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Yes, I would follow the advice @N F C gave you. We bought some pullets from someone who raised them differently, and one of them was so skittish and wouldn't let us get around her! But with some treats, kindness, (I didn't rush anything, I just gradually let her get used to her new home, her new flock, and me), and she has gotten so much friendlier! She lets me pet her, hold her, and she follows me everywhere!
    Just give her time, and she'll come around [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ttstar8941 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I do not have any more to add to the great advice you have already received but I do hope that they are able to sort out the pecking order and become a happy flock.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. You can put out another feeder or two and water so Meany, can't bully them away from all of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by