New from New Jersey

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redthreadchick, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Redthreadchick

Redthreadchick New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    Central New Jersey
    Hi everyone!

My husband and I just bought a small property in Central NJ after living in a suburban neighborhood for 13 years. We already had two dogs, three cats, two guinea pigs, a rabbit and a fish, so some of my friends said they weren't that surprised by our move. Others look at us as if we were crazy!

We now have a horse and three horses that are boarded in our barn in addition to the menagerie mentioned above. And two barn cats. So now I am looking at chickens. The more I read, the more excited I get. Planning to get some chicks in late April. Still trying to decide where to locate the coop, how many chickens to start with, what breed, etc. Would also like to include guinea hens but still reading and learning.

Thanks!

Pamela

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! There are some wonderful articles in the Learning Center on things like choosing breeds, keeping the flock healthy, predator and pest prevention and much more. Also look at the Coops section for designs if you're interested in building yourself one and the Breeds section to help you pick out breeds. Enjoy the site and your new venture!

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Definitely do some reading in our learning center. Lots of good reads on all aspects of poultry keeping.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Pamela, welcome to NJ and BYC.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture