New from New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gambrel, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Gambrel

Gambrel New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Hi there,
    I live in the High Desert in Albuquerque: East Mountains about 7000 ft.

I have never raised chickens-I was raised a city girl. I am researching our needs for raising chickens(super predator proof...) and making plans for this spring. I am really looking forward to the adventure.
    I *might* opt for raising quail first, if it seems unrealistic for our family to get it together this year for chickens. We have a heap of trees to clear and husbands time is not super plentiful right now as he just switched jobs AND careers and is finishing up his commercial pilot's license and instrument training. :)

I also have plans for goats (just 2) and dream of having a donkey.:)

I am a homeschooling mom, former Nurse, and a budding indoor and outdoor gardener(have some cherry tomatoes blooming right now in our passive solar home)

I have already gleaned heaps of info, here. The poop shelves being my favorite(!) so far.
    Thanks!
    Linda

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio......so glad you joined BYC

Sounds like you have a lot in store for the future. Best wishes for goats, chickens and a cute donkey :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Best of luck to your DH with his pilot's licence. What is he flying? I fancied learning to fly helicopters years ago. Only problem is I'm so scared of heights I could die! LOL Your farm plans sound great! Goats are fun though naughty and donkeys are sweet, but they can be noisy! Quail need less time if you want meat/eggs and they need very little space compared to chickens... If you don't have a lot of either I would recommend them for sure. Have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

And chickens. There are so many designs for coops and runs etc and predator proofing them. We are in a constant battle to outwit the beasties! I heard hardware cloth is great for keeping the clever ones, like raccoons, out. Have a look here and here for ideas and suggestions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

And general, don't know if you've been here already. Lots of great info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy the site!

2 people like this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Linda, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I used to live in your fair state as a child! Looks like Sumi has you well set up. Best of luck with your chickens!!

5. fire pirate

fire pirate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    Greetings from rainy Washington :)

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

8. Gambrel

Gambrel New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Thank YOU, everyone!
    Sumi - he is flying private planes, now and will be checked out to fly a personal jet later this year. He'll be instructing soon as well. Fear of heights can be rather limiting in that area:)
    Redsoxs _ grew up in California - and have spent 6 years, here, in NM. I miss the rain....but love the desert and mountains here.

I am thinking on the quail. would be kind of neat to get set up for the quail, then add chickens later.(seaparate living quarters) We'll see. We have 1/2 an acre we are OK for space. I also back up to 800 acres of open space, so no neighbors that way.
    xxL

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by