New from New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Daisygirl, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hiya,
    I found this site while surfing on the net...the day AFTER we got our beautiful chooks from a hatchery. Ten weeks later, here I am, wanting to ask my own questions with six Brown Shavers sitting in my back yard...
    Daisy, Shirley, Annie, Henrietta, Peppi and Analise - now if I can just tell them apart [​IMG]
    Anyone else out there?

2. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    Hello to you.

What part of the long white cloud are you from?

I have three 8wk old shaver chicks and 5 australorp chooks. I am treating my BSs as I do my australorps as the y seem to be the same size etc, but brown not black.

3. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Im in auckland...where r u?
    Ive only got the Brown Shavers at the moment, got no space for anything else [​IMG]
    Is there any difference in the behavior between the two breeds? My girls like to be stroked, sit on peoples' shoulders, etc.

4. cheekychick

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    I live north of Parakai ......... just keep driving past the hot pools ( if you know where they are) and we are out in the wop wops 20 or so kms later [​IMG]

I find that my Auysies are really broody & like to be picked u p etc, but I am not to sure what my shavers will be like as adults ... but they are looking like they are going to be similar. I am very happy with them so far [​IMG]

5. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    I havnt been out that way in ages...must have something to do with the recent additions to my family [​IMG]
    Same here for my girls...they just cant get any better! [​IMG]

6. cheekychick

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    You would be surprised how many people dont even know where parakai is, or if they do they didnt know that there is a peninsula out here. They just think the road ended not far p[ast Parakai! LOL [​IMG]

I am guessing you are planning on eating / baking with your eggs? I really would like to have a rooster here, but I have been told that as soon as it wakes us up it would be shot [​IMG]

7. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Same here...I'm a bit nervous that my girls might actually turn out to be dinner... Probably don't have room for a roo here anyways, most people round my neighbourhood prefer to be woken up by an actual alarm clock! [​IMG]
    Definitely planning on using the eggs - my brother (aka human calculator) tells me I'll be getting 42 eggs per week!!!
    There's gonna be plenty of cooking when they start laying!!! [​IMG]

8. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Anyways, think I'd better log off - - have had nagging on how it is bad for my eyes to stay on too long!
    Good luck with ur chooks!!!
    Daisygirl

9. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! There are lots of other Kiwis here, as you've already discovered. [​IMG]

10. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by