New from North Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fleur de lis, Feb 6, 2013.

1. fleur de lis

fleur de lis New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Hello-I live in North Alabama. I stumbled across BYC when I was looking for information on how to care for the two baby ducklings that came home with us from the fair last fall. We had gotten there late on the final day and most of the animal exhibitors had already packed up and headed home. There was one lonely cage left that contained two little black and gold balls of fluff. My sons fell in love and argued (convincingly) that they were all alone and needed someone to take care of them. And since they were the last two, we just HAD to get both so they wouldn't get lonely. Seeing as most everything had already gone, our two new family members were handed over to me in a mesh onion sack that looked like it been run over by a lawn mower. So here I am trying to wrangle a wiggly 2 year old, a bouncy 8 year old, and a to-cool-to-walk-with-mom 12 year old back to the car, all while juggling a hole-y sack of ducks with feet, feathers, wings, and bills poking out everywhere. We all made it home safely (and miraculously clean!!) and introduced them to their new home. Which happened to be my father's prized pond garden, enclosed with a white picket fence to keep the dogs from digging up meticulously tended flowers. Because they were black and gold and we are huge Saints fans, my 12 year old named our ducklings Drew and Brees. I wouldn't have bet a quarter that they would have survived a month, but here we are, 6 months later. Our beautiful pond garden is now a duckyard. The carefully tended flowers have been nibbled to nubs. But Drew & Brees have blossomed into gorgeous, healthy, happy (okay-spoiled rotten) 'Scovies that we now couldn't imagine life without. Now-if only we could convince them that they are ducks..........
    .[​IMG]
    Brees(left) & Drew(right)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, fleur de lis, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! What a great story about how you became a duck parent! Love the names, too. I think those ducks are fortunate - they might not have fared too well had you not adopted them. Below is a link to other duck fanciers on BYC...good luck and have fun!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Loved the introduction!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

6. fleur de lis

fleur de lis New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome! I hope to be checking in more often. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
  8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Drew and Brees look quite content in their home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by