New from north central FL

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kissem37, Nov 20, 2011.

1. kissem37

kissem37 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Gainesville
    Hi everyone! I've been a lurker for a long time on BYC- it seems like every question I could think of was answered, with depth and detail! What a great forum [​IMG]
    I live on a small semi-rural lot with my husband, 3 children, 2 cats, dog, and 3 chickens. We hope to get miniature goats soon, too. I've been slowly working towards the model of self-sufficient living- planting herbs and veggies, fruit trees, and pollinator attracting flowers, raising chickens for eggs, and eventually goats for milk and cheese. My husband and I built our chicken coop and run last year, and we started out with a couple of chicks that my son's kindergarten class hatched. Fast forward a few months, and I've made my first incubator (out of a styrofoam Omaha steaks cooler), with a lot of help from the forum posts here. Success! I hatched 8 of 9 (I'm pretty sure that last one wasn't fertile), and soon had a bathroom filled with peeping little fuzzballs! I totally caught the chicken bug [​IMG] All but one of those went to my friend's farm, who was just starting out with chickens.
    Our current flock is ragtag- 1 dominique, 1 barred rock, and 1 tiny OEG. The family has decided that we really like bantams, and think they are perfect for our little space, so we're hoping to hatch out a bunch of little silkies soon.
    I co-own a small natural cosmetics and personal products (soaps, lotions, etc) company. I am also a doula and hope to be a midwife someday when the kids are much older. I love to read, dance, cook, and learn new things. So glad to be here!
    Karen

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi kissem, glad you joined in! Welcome from Michigan [​IMG]

4. J's Orpingtons

J's Orpingtons Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Somewhere in NI...
    Hi [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Northern Ireland

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas. [​IMG]

6. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms, CA You'll find a lot of friendly, knowledgeable folks here who love to help!!

7. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello Karen! [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Welcome! I am in North Fl too. Halfway between Tallahassee and Panama City.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by