New From North Dakota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maverick7wi, Feb 26, 2014.

1. maverick7wi

maverick7wi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Hello all, I am going to take on the challenge of raising some chickens here in eastern North Dakota with my family. I am not totally sure what breed to get yet, but will keep doing research. I'll definitely wait until we have warmer temps in later April or early May. I bought a house where the previous owner had a large chicken coop. It needs some repair, but it is a solid building. I know I will have to battle coyotes, fox and probably raccoons. I may also have to deal with my neighbors dogs who think my property is their own! I am debating whether to build a smaller coop to start off with just to ensure I have a floor that the wild animals can't dig or get through. The existing coop is fenced, but only to the ground. At this point, I want to start with maybe a half dozen egg layers and get a few meat birds to get practice at butchering. I'm open to all recommendations and suggestions. This forum sure seems to be filled with information and I'm learning a lot just reading!

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    First off [​IMG]
    I love the woddtties they are very cold hardy. (And beautiful)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like a very nice place in North Dakota. A little to freezing for me. [​IMG]

You might want to do some reading in our learning center here on BYC for some tips and hints on building runs and coops, keeping your flock, etc....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You can also check out our coop construction section and ask lots of questions and include pics for good feed back...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

We are crawling with coyotes and have a nearby den of about 20 of them. And this ground is impossible to dig down too deep from the extremely hard clay in the soil. So we collect rocks. Lots of them and line everything with them. All the chicken coops and quail aviaries are lined with rocks all around. We have never had a coyote or raccoon break in yet.

[​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and good luck in all your poultry adventures!

1 person likes this.
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

5. maverick7wi

Feb 26, 2014
    My goodness you must be busy! I am active duty Air Force, so I do not have the time to take care of a lot of animals. Once I retire, maybe I'll expand the animals I have. How hard is it to take care of goats?

6. maverick7wi

Feb 26, 2014
    Quote:Oops, new to this. This was meant for "The Farm".

7. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Goats are a breeze to take care of, till kidded then you should be there all the time.
    Just have to watch out for horns in the fence. And keep them fed and watered. And you MUST keep more then two.
    They are great fun to have around, they will give you MANY good laughs too.!!!

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    from Washington state glad you joined us!

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    ADAF and you mentioned eastern ND so I'm thinking somewhere around Grand Forks? I'm retired AF in the Minot area... welcome to BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] and thank you for your years in service

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by