1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Northern CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pnp4kidz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone!
    I'm new, from Northern CA...
    I have my chickens right now ...
    three Coo Coo Maran hens and one rooster,
    one white and black Bantam rooster,
    and one frizzle black rooster...
    and one red hen. hehe... she was a dumped at the grocery store chicken... with her two friends who didn't make it...

I got my Marans from a local man who was breeding special chickens, Black Marans, Coo Coo Marans, White Marans and Welsummers, and one other kind...
    we got Welsummers and loved them dearly, but they were unfortunately killed in the middle of the day a few years ago...
    so, we went back and begged and got the three Maran hens, and a rooster...

we tried to let them set last summer, or perhaps it was the summer before? anyway, we let them lay and finally one set... but none ever hatched... we figured our rooster was a dud...
    but now i've been 'told' that it might have been that she didn't set well enough...

I borrowed an incubator, and am looking for Welsummer eggs now... and thinking what the heck, if the old women are laying still... I might collect a few and toss them in the incubator!
    Now, I need to know SOOOO much more than I do...
    like, i got to get those other two roosters outta there, but for how long?
    I found a home for one of them last night.... that is good.
    then, after 'so long', then I collect the eggs, and put them in the incubator?
    so, do I put them in right when I find them? wait and put a few in together? argh... so much to know...

and then, I guess after a few weeks I know?
    can I figure out BEFORE I wait for them to hatch if they are fertile?
    :)

Thanks! I can tell I'll learn a lot here!
    (like already I see that I'm better off getting eggs from a good breeder than a hatchery for my Welsummers! I didn't know they had less pretty ones in the hatcheries! so, now I'll make sure they are more pretty... like the one we had. Roofus was our rooster, he was gorgeous, and SO friendly... I would sit with him on my lap and talk... a great guy Roofus was, and he died trying to protect his hens... good boy.)
    Beth

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. pnp4kidz

Hi Brian!
    thanks!
    I am looking for Welsummers... I loved my ones I had before.
    do you have those?
    Beth

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Welcome from another NorCal member!!

5. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG] from the middle of CA

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

9. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from Cool, CA....foothills of No Calif. Good luck with your chickens. This site is fantastic for info. They helped me so much and I had my first hatch ever this last Oct. Looks like mama (cochin) is thinking of brooding up some more by the sound of her clucking. Sharon;)

10. pnp4kidz

Thank you all!

I am going to bid on some Wesummer eggs and give it a try hatching...
    :) should be fun!
    the others we had were broody hens... and did it themselves... and then our current Marans who aren't hatching them,
    so while I have the incubator set up, I'm going to give that a try with some of the Maran eggs too!

What is up with some of the posts saying they tried to get the egg back in the shell after cracking to see if it was fertile... are they serious? how does THAT work????
    I think I'll crack a few and see if there is a spot tho,
    then just have to get the other two roosters caught tonight...

if I wait a week, then can I assume the other roosters weren't the fertilizers?

:)

a happy East Bay chicken girl!
    Beth
    (oh, and we have horses, goats, dogs, cats, and goldfishes too!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by