1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from northern Minnesota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by maezy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. maezy

maezy New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Northern Minnesota
    Hi All: I am new to the whole chicken scene we started our chickens back in the spring and got new chicks. We absolutely adore them! We had something very devastating a few nights ago someone came into our yard and got into our chicken coop took the screws off the hinge and stole five of our chickens. I am just sick to my stomach and don't know how I'm going to tell my daughter:(. You live in a very safe small town and have never had any issues has anyone else experienced this? They were buddies and now they're gone and I have no idea what happened to them or why someone would do this?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately theft happens. It's happened to me too, on more than one occasion. The best defence is to secure your coop as best you can. And put a baby monitor in there so you can hear if anything unusual happens in there at night.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] did you tell the police? I suppose they aren't interested in stolen chickens but, if it happens to others in the area - that may prompt them into action. Maybe a motion detector light would be of some use.

5. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I hope you get them back. It's hard to stop a theft. I would put up security cam's. Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. maezy

maezy New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Northern Minnesota
    Hey all; thanks for the ideas I know I am just sick about it I am going to meet with somebody to put in security cams and put those fake alarms on there to see that way I can hopefully catch them. I did put on a trail cam and did call the police they did question some of the neighbors the cop had chickens himself he was really sad about it too.

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about your loss - it's unfortunate that stuff like that really happens.
    Good luck with your cams.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. maezy

maezy New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Northern Minnesota
    Thank you; )

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sorry about your loss, hope you are able to figure out who is responsible.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by