1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from NW FL (Baker)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Heather282828, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Heather282828

Heather282828 New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Hello!

I just recently moved out to the boonies and we are going to be getting some chickens. After alot of research, I found that I'm going to get EE's because I have younger children in my brood. I think they would love the variety the EE's provide. My husbands aunt has chickens too, but they arnt necessarily the kid-friendly kind.

We normally go through about 8-10 extra large eggs a day with the 6 of us, and would love to try my hand at this. My husband grew up around farm life so I will have some help being the greenie that I am. We have the cage setup, and hubbie is building 'the box'. Not sure how many EE's I should get to start with since they only pop them out every few days. I read to get 2 per family member. I'm also trying to find somewhere local that I can get them from as well.

Thanks for providing this site! I has been a HUGE help!

Heather
    Baker, FL

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Welcome from Indiana!!![​IMG]

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Welcome! I am in North Florida. You may want to check out some open air pens or three sided pens for up here. It is so hot and they have a hard time handling the heat. Also, don't use chicken wire for anything...go with hardware cloth. If you want to make your chickens as safe as possible...read the predator section first! It is horrifying and most deaths are from either using chicken wire or not anticipating predators. Oh, and build twice as big as you think you need!!! Chicken math is a disease we spread freely around here.
    sharon

4. Heather282828

Heather282828 New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    What about Chicken wire at the bottom with regular chain link fencing? And a coop to secure them at night (inside the fencing area). The fenced area is about 15x15 right now and totally enclosed..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! [​IMG] Glad you are getting EE's. [​IMG] I don't have tons of chicken experience but for me they have been very friendly and docile! Enjoy BYC!! [​IMG]

6. riverchicks

riverchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    The problem can be in the closing them up. If you make sure there is plenty of ventilation by using big areas cut out and covered with hardware cloth can help. You can look through some of the posts on handling the heat ideas and coops for hot weather. You can do a search for these....be prepared to spend some time reading and looking. I did before I built mine and have been really happy with what I have and they have done well in the heat.

9. Heather282828

Heather282828 New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    ... Thanks! I'm on it.

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by