New from Olympia, WA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stacylynnm, Jan 1, 2013.

1. stacylynnm

stacylynnm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    Hello. Just wanted to say hello. We started with four layers and converted an unused horse stall into their coop. Working well. Looking into adding more hens this year. Not sure if I want our own rooster though. Do I have to worry about breed types? When is the best time to hatch? Thanks.

Stacy

2. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hello there!

Welcome! I believe you will find plenty of info on breeds in the "Breeds" tab at the top of the BYC home page. Also, any questions you have about hatching would probably be best anwered in the Incubating and Hatching Eggs forum. Good luck with your birds!

[​IMG]

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Be sure to come by the new Washington state thread. It's very active, and the people very helpful.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Howdy. I live outside Portland now but lived in Olympia for a year as a kid. You will find lots of helpful folks here who love to talk shop.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] What breeds have you got? Is your roo a different breed than your hens? If so it's up to you if you want mix breed offspring. I've crossed different breeds to each other before as I didn't start with pure breeds and it didn't matter. Ended up with quite a colourful bunch of chickens, but they were great! If you are planning on selling any of the offspring at a later stage it would be better to keep their breed pure though. Most people are not keen on mix breeds and you may have a problem selling them. If you are doing it to expand your own flock only and are planning on eating the roosters, it should not be a problem.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Stacy, and[​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your chickens!

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

The breed of rooster isn't usually a big deal. As for hatching times, you might want to go for spring so the chicks get some warmer weather, but all year round's fine if you have heat lamps and stuff like that.

I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] From Virginia, glad you joined.

9. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. You will find lots of helpful info & people are here.

10. coreshot

coreshot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    West Jordan, Utah
    Welcome, be sure to show us your converted stall in the coops section

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by