1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from Patagonia, Arizona: anything I need to know about chickens and desert living?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Silverhooligan, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Silverhooligan

Silverhooligan New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Hi,

I've raised chickens in my backyards and while a volunteer in the Peace Corps. This will be my first time raising chickens in a dry desert environment. I'm curious if there are unique challenges that I'm not aware of.

The coop has a six-foot fence surrounding it, with corrugated metal buried one-foot deep. We'll put netting over the chicken corral.

Ideally, when I'm home I'd like to train the girls so they can explore outside the corral. There is tall grass and mesquite grove near their protected area. Previously when I had chickens I trained them to come, so when I wasn't home I put them back in to the corral.

I have dogs and hopefully that will be a deterent for preditors. I live without any other fencing outside of town.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some chicks, super excited to get going.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Catherine

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Catherine, nice to have you here!

You might want to chat with other members in AZ for tips. You can find your state thread using the link in my signature (down at the bottom of my post).

Check out the Learning Center for some really helpful articles on just about every poultry topic you can imagine. The Search box is helpful for finding information too.

Make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions.

1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Silverhooligan [​IMG] Welcome!

N F C has given you some great starting points so I will just wish you and your flock all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Catherine, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! You've received some great advice already so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC! It look's like you are further down in the state close to Mexico. How to prep your flock for summer could depend on what elevation that you live is. You could join our Arizona thread here at the site, and maybe find someone who lives closer to you who might know in answering your questions about over there.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens/59320

6. Wavechickens

Wavechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Vermont
    Welcome. I live in Vermont so unfortunately I don't have much info on Arizona and chickens, but I would keep in mind when choosing your breeds that different breeds do better in hot weather than others.
    Good luck!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Catherine. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do. It would be good to post on your state thread to get other desert living members to answer your questions and concerns. Just put "Arizona" in the search box and it will pop up for you.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the big, happy BYC family! I am so glad you joined us, please make yourself at home. I hope you will enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by