New from Pensacola

redfish514

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 23, 2014
Pensacola Florida
Hello all! I have been on this website many many times and figured I need to get signed up finally. Thanks to all the research and helpful readings. My six chickens are a little over nine months old and doing great. Three - four eggs every day from two reds and four Americanas. I put a video together of them below. It's a little over six minutes (If you aren't an AC/DC fan, then mute but it goes well with the pics) In the last part of the video shows them coming to me. My chickens are now totally trained to go to their coop or come to me with a blow of a whistle at any time. I'm very proud. Thanks again for everyone's help.

https://studio.stupeflix.com/v/pFxb0XvbFEEy/

Greg

Welcome to BYC, Greg! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've put together a very nice video presentation and you have a beautiful flock. Thanks for sharing it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hi Greg, nice to meet you. One suggestion I would make it is back all wire with 1/2" hardware cloth, predators can get through a lot of small openings. Most will not make it through 1/2" hardware cloth. Raccoons especially love to grab and pull any part of a chicken through wire openings and will eat it on the spot. Raccoons cause great suffering, damage and generally death to their victims . I really enjoyed your video, you are a quick study, after predator(? )
attacks, you fortified the problem areas. You have a beautiful flock. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Thank you all for the welcome as well has suggestions regarding hardware cloth. The actual coop has 1/4' cloth all around it (as coons did kill my first flock). My girls only come out of the coop during the day to run in the open area. I know that doesn't mean a hungry coon or other predator couldn't reach through to get them during the day, but will see how things go. My biggest fear is all the wild dogs in the woods. Also, just about every morning I see where coons have tried getting to my girls without success. So, so far so good, In the eleven years I've lived in this part of the county, I've only seen two coons during the day, both of which were dead. I feel like my next move will be an electric fence around the perimeter, in the mean time I have a sign up that reads "Chickens Only!"

Back
Top Bottom