New from Reno, NV!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HenQueen, Oct 10, 2012.

1. HenQueen

HenQueen New Egg

Oct 10, 2012
    Hi all -

So glad I found this site! New to "chickening", not new to animal raising. Must say my girls (6) have added a dimension and hilarity to our yard (and home when they break in).

The rundown: 5 month olds - Buff Orphington "Popcorn", Bard Rock "Brosia", Auraucana "Egger"
    3 month olds - Silver Wyandotte "Nevada", Rhode Island Red "Misty", Swiss Australope "Charlotte"

The older ones are in a naughty phase, the younger ones want to be in our laps all the time!!!!!

A few issues to deal with:

The girls have taken over the yard. Time to get a large coop to put them all in at some point here. Have to wait until it is safe for the pullets. If I could sell chicken poo I'd be a millionaire!

Finding a coop big enough for all of them without breaking the bank, this is my Holy Grail.

Looking forward to learning, sharing and thriving through my "chicken years" on this board! And if you are in Northern Nevada - let me know! Strength in numbers. While I type this they are putting up a ruckus - good lord girls this is not a biker bar! :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Welcome to BYC (there's a lot of good folks on here ~'-)

Love the picture your avatar is based on -- reminds me of the theater masks that are always seen in pairs, with one laughing like the one to the left and the other .. well ... just like the picture.

As for *finding* a coop that won't break the bank? Short of gettin' one from somebody that has no need for it anymore, building (or having one built) is by far the better value.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6 birds will need only a modest sized coop, 24 square feet ( such as 4X6 or 5X5)

8. HenQueen

HenQueen New Egg

Oct 10, 2012
    Thank you for the warm welcome!!!

I am leaning towards pulling the kids together and building a "pellet coop", if we get in a jam I will have a construction buddy help for a few home cooked meals and cleaning!

BTW I am originally from Muskegon, MI - great hearing from you - xoxo

9. HenQueen

HenQueen New Egg

Oct 10, 2012
    And PS - yes, that picture always makes me laugh. I am certain there is a story there!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! My backyard has tons of chicken poop too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by