New from Sacramento, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PerrBear, Dec 9, 2012.

1. PerrBear

PerrBear New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    South Sacramento, CA
    Hello everyone! I have always wants chickens, up until a year ago it was not allowed in Sacramento City limits. Once they changed the law and said we could have three hens I was ready. However my husband grew up with chickens and said no way they are too messy. I have spent the last year begging and finally made a deal. If I can do more research and provide him with some Internet proof that they can easily be cleaned up after then he said we can get some hens. His other concern was corn, he wants them to be organic and not eat corn. Luckily he is a home brewer and we have spent grain and I already buy meal worms for my box turtles so I don't think it will be too much trouble to keep them healthy. Thanks to my cousin who turned me on to backyard chickens I am hoping to have my own coop in the new year! Love to hear any advise, books, websites or what ever you have to offer!

2. NatalieAnn

NatalieAnn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Adelaide Australia
    Welcome!

Just wondering what you were intending on keeping the hens for - eggs, pets or meat? If it is for eggs I would think you would need to get some layer pellets for your hens along with the grain and worms to make sure they are getting the right level of nutrients to support egg and shell production. You should be able to get organic pellets.

As for cleanliness I have found that they do attract flies, but if you clean out the coop every few days (we add the manure to a compost system) and rake the run just as often to break down the poo (or water it into the ground) then this shouldn't be a big problem. Also we don't scatter food on the ground for them, we keep it in a container and bring it in at night to prevent mice and rats being attracted to leftovers.

These are just my thoughts - I would say there would be many threads on this site that offer better advice!

Good Luck :)

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. birdonerous

birdonerous Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    NW Kansas, USA
    Welcome! Chickens can be messy, but they can also be tidy, depends on if they have their own space or if you have to share it with them :)

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, PerrBear, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Happy also you were able to get your husband on the chicken deal. Best of luck to you!!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from Modesto!

9. PerrBear

PerrBear New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    South Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for all the welcomes! I am sorry I was not clear. I am looking for eggs but I am an animal lover so they are of course pets. We are Pescatarian so no meat eating in this house ( my husbands has high blood pressure so we are also low sodium) Sacramento says chickens must stay in coop at all times. My husband grew up with roaming chickens so I think he is imaging poop all over the yard. I have been reading the formus and looking at coops all day!!! Thanks for all the advice so far!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by