New from So Cali (Valley Center)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ninja, Jul 31, 2016.

1. ninja

ninja Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Valley Center, Ca
    Hiya :D

My name is Kate. I am from Valley Center (San Diego county). I have about 17 or so random chickens (RIR, Americauna, Polish--only 1 or 2 of each type). I also just got 5 Serama and, 3 silkies (1 white rooster, 1 white hen and, 1 broody black hen). And I have 8 ducks and 1 BBB turkey.

I am pretty obsessed with my chickens. I sit outside for hours and just talk to them like a lunatic. I will crawl around and whistle at them when I find a pile of bugs for them to enjoy. My family thinks I've lost it. Maybe I have.... but I did find chickens [​IMG]

I just moved here in April so I am still building more coops and enclosures. Especially because I went from about 5 chickens to everything I have now [​IMG][​IMG] Luckily I am on 20 acres so I have lots of space. I free range my flock during the day. They put themselves to bed when the sun sets. I cannot train them to go in before [​IMG] I have dogs that don't bother them and will keep predators away (one is a LGD). So for now they can take their sweet time getting in the coop.

I am also hatching my first set of eggs. Svart Hona. They lock down on Wednesday [​IMG] I know I lost a few because the power was out a few times. But hopefully I will at least get a few out of the 12 I set.

I hope I can connect with other people who are chicken crazy... Maybe make some local trading buddies. Excited to be part of a chicken loving community!!!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Kate, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. Believe me, you are in good company if you have a chicken obsession. Good luck on your poultry adventures!:yiipchick

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you join your state thread, you may very well find buddies. Just put state name in search box and it will come up. Welcome to BYC

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. ninja

ninja Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    Valley Center, Ca
    Yay! I will look for it! Thank you :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by