New from So Cali (Valley Center)

ninja

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
Valley Center, Ca
Hiya :D

My name is Kate. I am from Valley Center (San Diego county). I have about 17 or so random chickens (RIR, Americauna, Polish--only 1 or 2 of each type). I also just got 5 Serama and, 3 silkies (1 white rooster, 1 white hen and, 1 broody black hen). And I have 8 ducks and 1 BBB turkey.

I am pretty obsessed with my chickens. I sit outside for hours and just talk to them like a lunatic. I will crawl around and whistle at them when I find a pile of bugs for them to enjoy. My family thinks I've lost it. Maybe I have.... but I did find chickens
bow.gif

I just moved here in April so I am still building more coops and enclosures. Especially because I went from about 5 chickens to everything I have now
roll.png
wee.gif
Luckily I am on 20 acres so I have lots of space. I free range my flock during the day. They put themselves to bed when the sun sets. I cannot train them to go in before
pop.gif
I have dogs that don't bother them and will keep predators away (one is a LGD). So for now they can take their sweet time getting in the coop.

I am also hatching my first set of eggs. Svart Hona. They lock down on Wednesday
celebrate.gif
I know I lost a few because the power was out a few times. But hopefully I will at least get a few out of the 12 I set.

I hope I can connect with other people who are chicken crazy... Maybe make some local trading buddies. Excited to be part of a chicken loving community!!!!

If you join your state thread, you may very well find buddies. Just put state name in search box and it will come up. Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom