New from South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lings143, Mar 9, 2014.

1. lings143

lings143 New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    South Carolina
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie to owning chickens. I work at a vet clinic, and I'm passionate about animals. My husband and I already have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and we're interested in adding chickens to the mix. We also think owning chickens will be a positive experience for our 2 year old son.
    Any recommendations on the most kid friendly chickens would be greatly appreciated!
    I look forward to meeting everyone, and the site is great! So much information on here!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are quite a few lovely, friendly breeds to choose from. I'd suggest you browse the Breeds section and the Reviews to see what owners say about their experiences with their flocks. Enjoy your new venture!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Orpingtons!!! The Buff Orpingtons and the Black Australorps. These birds are very docile, kid friendly, great layers and are very hardy over all. My Black Australorps follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies or a soft lap to sit on. HUGE lap babies.

Sumi has left you with excellent advice. Check out our breeds section to see what members are saying about the different breeds. Here is an external link to a nice breeds page as well....

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to BYC!

4. lings143

lings143 New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thank you both for all the information!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    Welcome, lings143. BYC is a fantastic resource, and you can do searches by the topic for answers to your questions. I find that I learn even more things along the way in addition to my "main" search. Do your homework here and you'll have far less stress when you finally obtain your chickens. (See, I did it all backwards, which is not the best plan!) [​IMG]

I believe there are threads about introducing your dogs to your chickens, which is very important to do right. When done correctly, your dogs are no threat to your birds and, depending on breed, may even defend them against predators. My Mountain Feist defends against all threats, by land or by air!

Again, welcome. Have fun, make friends, and learn a lot. You can also find out who has chickens and might live near you —
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Check out the BYC learning center [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck in establishing your flock.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

10. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    In my flock the two barred rocks are the sweetest and very well behaved with my daughter. One of them went through a stage where she was determined to be a parrot and ride on my shoulder :) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by