1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New from South Louisiana :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bayoudragon, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bayoudragon

bayoudragon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello all!

I have been lurking for a while now and finally decided to join. I have no chickens yet, but once I move out of my condo, I definitely plan on getting some. I'm hoping to move in the next few months. *fingers crossed*

In the meantime, I have been researching breeds, making a couple of contacts, and trying to stay on top of local shows and swaps. I have already found the "La-yers" thread here and will be hanging out there quite a bit. There is so much information on this site!!

While I'm not new to keeping animals, this will be my first independent foray into chickens. Very excited! :)

Ang

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

You will love your foray into chicken keeping!
    What breeds are you researching?
    I started off with the good egg layers (Black Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks) and also got some Easter Eggers for the pretty eggs. Then I decided to have some fun with a few bantam breeds (the d'Uccles were by far the friendliest and best broodies). And I got Silkies for the cuteness factor and quickly decided to start over again with the Silkies to show them.
    There's just so much diversity with chickens. You will definitely enjoy every minute!

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG] Couple of shows coming up in the next few weeks - hope to see you at one of them!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bayoudragon, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Sounds like you are doing everything right - research and more research. Makes for a good first experience in chicken keeping. Best of luck to you!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

7. bayoudragon

bayoudragon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the welcome! [​IMG]

I made the Hammond swap. Drug my mother-in-law along with me. LOL. :)

I've been looking at getting some calm egg-layers. I definitely want an Australorp and will probably get a Barred Rock and Ameraucana (EE would be fine, too). I'm limited to 3 hens in the city... but I'm seriuosly thinking of moving to the outskirts though! I have a contact for someone who breeds Lavendar Orps and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes... sooo tempting! There were a few others I considered, but I keep going back to my first 3 choices.

I can't move soon enough!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. luvmychicken

luvmychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    Southwest Louisiana
    Welcome to BYC. Check out Louisiana layer peeps. We are all from Louisiana. Great bunch is peeps and have a lot of great info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by