New from Southwest PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennT, Mar 15, 2013.

1. JennT

JennT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi,
    I am Jenn. Obviously I am new, which is why I am posting here. We purchased a property 'with potential' several years ago and I am finally making those 8 acres use that potential. We are a grow-your-own organic family, and adding chickens is the next logical step...not to mention I have wanted to do it for years now. I am waiting on the final word from the zoning officer in my township as to the specifics of what we can and can't do. I already know that we can have hens and roosters both, but zoning in our township is divided and I live in that grey area, so the number may be limited. We will also most likely be purchasing chicks from a local family. I'm kind of sold on mixed breed since I won't be showing them. We want eggs, manure, and depending on their temperament, pets For a long time my husband was not thrilled with the idea, but recently seemed to jump on board with the idea. I love the coop plans that so many people have shared! I plan to reclaim a lot of material and spend as little as possible building (but still spending on necessities to make it right). We also have two girls who are excited about doing this.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, JennT, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Good luck to you and your future chickens!!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Jenn, welcome to BYC.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Hopefully you can get those new chickens soon! Enjoy BYC!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

10. JennT

JennT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I am happy to be here. We found a coop plan on here that firs both with my husband's crazy idea of perfection in construction and my idea of reclaiming. Still no word from zoning, though I expect to hear from them today or tomorrow. All plans seem to be in place otherwise, including the chicks. We have decided to keep them indoors until they are feathered. I forgot to mention that I homeschool, so the learning process has been phenomenal for my oldest as well. I have been reading A LOT, but still have a lot of questions, which I am sure I will find the answers to some given a little more site exploration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by