New from Stockton, CA

jasonponce

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
I am new to the forum and also new to chickens. I want to have some but the local ordinances do not allow it. Is there any one else in the Stockton area that could help me to get the ordinances changed?

Jason

Welcome Jason! You will love it here.
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from WI. Check the section 'Where Am I? Where Are You' for others from CA, maybe you can find someone in your area. Post the question there. Also check the section re ordinaces and how to change them. Good luck!!

Hey Jason.
welcome-byc.gif

I raise chickens in Oakland, not too far from you, it's kind of hard to believe that waaay out there in the boonies they don't allow chickens? Are you positive about that?

In Oakland the law is you have to keep poultry and their housing at least 25ft from any dwelling entrance. So pretty easily done if you've got a backyard. Roosters however are prohibited.

I'll take a look more in depth into the zoning laws out there, I have a few connections with the city here in Oakland, maybe they can help out?

What kind of chickens to you plan on getting?!

Jeremy

Hi Jason.
Welcome and good luck in changing the ordinances in Stockton. (I'm actually suprised that you aren't allowed at least pullets/hens since CA has so much agriculture in the state.)

Kim

Jason - quick check of the muni code in Stockton
- Check out §16.80.060 Animal regulations

Looks like you can have poultry provided you have 1/2 an acre lot. Up to 100 per acre, so if you had the minimium of 1/2 acre you could have 50 so long as they are 50 feet from the property line.

Like a lot that big is gonna happen in the city limits...

Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom