New from Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mom2FourBlessings, May 20, 2010.

1. Mom2FourBlessings

Mom2FourBlessings New Egg

May 20, 2010
    Anderson County
    Hi all, I am new here. We have had hens and 1 rooster (Fred) for almost 2 years now. We have several different breeds, they all came from the local farmers co-op or 4-H. Anyway, 3 weeks ago today, I placed 4 of my Araucana's eggs into the incubator, today 3 hatched.. We know mom is an Araucana (I have 2 and they are my only green eggers) my only rooster is a Rhode Island Red.. ANYWAY, what I am wondering is how do I sex these babies.. They are all exactly the same ginger/yellowish color... can this cross, be sexed by color, or does it have to be done the old fashioned way.. [​IMG]

2. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined in. Only time will tell on the sex. Post pics of them in about 3-4 wks, we love to try and guess the gender. [​IMG]

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Hello fellow Tennesseean....

I'm afraid that I can't help you until they are a bit older... take pics and post them in about two weeks. [​IMG]

Where in TN are you? I'm in SE Tennessee. Always nice to meet new poultry people!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Just sayin [​IMG] from California

6. Mom2FourBlessings

May 20, 2010
    Anderson County
    Will do, thank you all very much...

7. Mom2FourBlessings

May 20, 2010
    Anderson County
    I am originally from Athens, I see you are from Englewood.. I lived there when I was little.. I live just north of Knoxville now.. [​IMG] I have lots of family in Athens though.. [​IMG]

I also have 4 baby chicks that a friend of mine hatched under one of his hens.. He kept the ones hatched from our eggs, and gave us four hatched from his eggs.. They are feather footers as we call them.. aka Cochins..(sp?) They are 2 weeks old today, in week or so I will post pics of them also and see if anyone can take a stab at boy v/s girl.... I am just not willing to "squeeze sex" them as a friend of mine who use to sex birds at a raptor center calls it..

Thanks for the help everyone.. where should I post the pics when they are old enough..

8. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    [​IMG] from Middle Tennessee.

9. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:yeah... I grew up in Sweetwater, but bought my first home in Englewood... it's so much cheaper across the county line. I'm fixin' to go to Athens right now. Got to get chick feed.

I got a few cochins myself... a bunch of red and one black. I have one red bantam and GOD THAT THING IS CUTE!

Welcome to BYC.... you wouldn't want some Barnevelders or Dels or BRs or any other breed would you? I'm talking about having a chicken sale (like a yard sale) Memorial Day weekend. I'm a bit overrun.

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by