New from Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ashleytattoo, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ashleytattoo

ashleytattoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    Weatherford, Tx.
    Hello there i am new to this sight and chickens...GladIi found this sight it is really helpfull. I have done my reserch and now I am starting my coop build this week. I think i have decided on plymouth rock chicks.I want a friendly good egg layer. I am only starting with 4 and we will see how it goes! Any tips on haveing friendly chicks or good breeds please let me know
    Thanks Ashley

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Hey Ashley!
    Welcome to BYC!!!! [​IMG]

3. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Welcome from Western Kentucky. You have chosen a very friendly and gentle breed. Try not to handle them to much the first week other than scratching their back so they can get used to you and learn that you will not hurt them. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC from NJ! I'm on the same boat as you. I still need a coop and I am still yet to order some birds. I've heard good things about the barred rocks!:)

5. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hi! I am just south of Austin. We have our first chicks, they are 4 weeks old. I wanted 4, so thought I'd get 6 - you know just in case. Hubs, who is being dragged along with this project, said I'd better get 9 (3 each of 3 breeds). Took DS with me to get them - and he had to pick out one of his own. So my 4 quickly turned into 10. =). Chicken fever hit early and hard!!!!

We have 3 Rhode Island Red, 3 Black Australorp, 3 Production Black/California Gray amd 1 Ameraucana Our coop is in the build phase - had to stop due to the cold front and RAIN. (whoo hoo - rain!!!:lol:)

Anyway - welcome!

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC.

Barred Rocks are a good chicken to start out with. They are great egg layers and very friendly.

7. Sunflowergirl

Sunflowergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Quitman, Texas
    Welcome Ashley! I am from Canyon and I am new to chickens too! Barred Rocks was one of the breeds that I was originally considering because of all their good qualities. Think you did a good choice! I finally went with Buff Orpingtons (BO) and Silver Laced Wyandottes SLW (SLW). I will get my order in April.

[​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio...glad you joined

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by