New from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by buffalobillh, Aug 23, 2013.

1. buffalobillh

buffalobillh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    Texas Mid-Coast
    I've been lurking for a while, but it was time to join. I'm getting up to snuff on breeds, and want to start my own small backyard flock. Haven't had chickens around since I was a kid, and it's way past time to get started.

I have an old makeshift coop (attached to rear of garage) that was here when we moved in. I want to clean it up, fix it up, and add a few hens. I'm thinking of getting three Australorp and three Buff Orpingtons to start. I might also be able to get three Red Stars from a friend of mine, but I'll run out of room if I had 9-10 right now. The research has been fun and educational, and everyone seems to be very helpful. Not sure how soon I'll get my flock going, but I'm looking forward to it. Hope to do some evening free ranging. Eventually, I'd like to construct a large portable run when budget allows. It's fun to think about it anyway.

Going to get back to gardening, too. The way our grandparents did things took a little more time and effort, but was definitely wholesome, natural, and worth it. Little by little, I want to return/come as close to that way as much as possible. Raising chickens is one of the easier, more satisfying ways to do that.

Thanks for having me!

Bill

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bill, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! Lots of folks on BYC - me included - are going back to the older and simpler ways. Good luck to you!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site Bill! Good luck with everything and hopefully we'll be seeing pictures of your flock soon :)

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I agree, gardening and chickens are wonderful hobbies with plenty benefits!

7. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Greetings from east central Indiana!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. buffalobillh

buffalobillh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013